744 Naval Air Squadron
Re-formed in late 2018 after more than 60 years, 744 NAS continues the rich history of test and evaluation which runs through the squadron’s more recent incarnations.
Led by Commander Bradley Watson, 744 Naval Air Squadron sits as part of the Air and Space Warfare Centre predominantly based out of MoD Boscombe Down and forms part of the Air Test and Evaluation Centre. The squadron draws on the best aircrew and engineers from the three Services, working side-by-side with civilian experts to test and evaluate helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft and new weapons, sensors and avionics fitted to them.
- Combat Air – Provides support to Future Combat Air System, Tempest and Typhoon development activities. Working with industry, DSTL and Defence on the development and exploitation of cutting-edge UK technologies.
- Maritime Team – Provides support to Merlin Mk2 in the ASW / CROWSNEST role fit, support to Merlin Mk4 / 4A and additional T&E programmes.
- Strike Team – Provides support to Wildcat HMA2 / AH1 T&E programmes.
- Weapons Integration Team – Provides support to various weapons integration programmes including Typhoon, Apache and Wildcat.
- Modelling and Simulation – Developing a complete Modelling and Simulation strategy for pan-defence programmes, the initial Air and Space Warfare Centre focus being T&E of Electronic Warfare, Combat Air and weapons.