5 courses every 2 years
To train junior officers to be competent in carrying out all field work and able, under supervision, to undertake small detached surveys on the bridge of a survey ship.
- General theory of geodetic work
- Competence at using all survey instruments
- Practical running of surveys
- General theory of tidal forces and currents
- Acoustic theory and implementation with single/multibeam echo sounders and sonar
- Theory and practical use of satellite and ground positioning system
UK GCSE mathematics or recognised equivalent.
Exams and Qualifications Gained
- Comprehensive set a written exams, assignments and presentations.
- Assessed beach reconnaissance and practical survey project
- International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO) Cat B. Bsc (Hons) Maritime
- Science awarded by University of Plymouth