Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) (Submariner)
You’ll work on sophisticated equipment that is essential to keeping our submarines moving.
- £18,000 - £85,000
- No qualifications
- Submarine Service
- Rating level
It’s a real team effort to keep a submarine safe and running well. It’s extremely rewarding when we solve a problem under pressure, as we have to be very self reliant when we’re submerged.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) (Submariner), you’re the driving force of the boat. It’s down to you to keep our submarines moving, deep below the surface. You’ll often be on highly sensitive operations, where avoiding detection is paramount. Without the power you provide, the vessel, and your crewmates, are stranded.
It takes a unique engineering effort for a crew of more than 100 people to stay submerged for months at a time. As well as maintaining the vessel’s nuclear reactor, you’ll play an important role in sustaining the water purification and air circulatory systems that make it possible for the submarine to dive.
- Be a key part of the immense engineering effort that goes into keeping a submarine operational, from providing power for the engines, to maintaining crucial water purification and air circulation systems.
- Find innovative and resourceful solutions to complex problems, applying the engineering skills and knowledge you gain, in challenging environments.
- Get your hands on some of the most sophisticated equipment on the planet, working with your team, and under the guidance of the Engineer Officer.
- Complete daily rounds, checking equipment to ensure the submarine remains operational. You’ll need to be precise and pay attention to detail, because even the smallest mistake can have a big impact.
Pay & benefits
- A salary that rises to over £23,496, as soon as you finish training
- Earn in excess of £85,000 as your career progresses
- A £5,000 bonus on being awarded your Dolphins – the mark of a qualified Submariner
- Additional Submariner pay each day at sea when fully qualified
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
- Handy discounts with lots of top brands, from Marriott hotels to Audi cars and high street stores
- Amazing opportunities, including world travel and adventurous training for two weeks every year
- Forces Help to Buy scheme – a 0% loan to get you on, or further up, the housing ladder
- Subsidised travel, accommodation and food
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- A Level 2 Apprenticeship in Maritime Mechanical Electrical Mechanic
Opportunities open to you
- Study for GCSEs, then A-Levels in subjects including English, Maths and Science
- Gain specialist vocational - such as a A Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture
- Eventually, you can work toward a degree like Mechanical Engineering, depending on your career progression
Skills you'll develop
- Enhance your natural abilities, to become a resourceful and innovative technician
- You’ll learn to maintain and operate some of the most cutting-edge kit on the planet, and become familiar with interesting, sophisticated mechanical and electrical systems
- Learning about how the entire boat works makes for an interesting role, and wide-ranging expertise
- You must be aged between 16 - 39
- No qualifications are required for this role
- You must be a United Kingdom citizen or British Dual National. Dual Nationality restrictions do apply
- You must have lived in the UK for 5 years continuously prior to application
- You need to be a minimum height of 157cm
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test
Skills & Interests
- A quick thinker, with a passion for working with the latest equipment and technology
- A problem-solver, with a common sense approach
- A real sense of adventure, and the ability to thrive within a team
From picking your role to starting on your first day, these are the steps you'll take to join as a rating.
Once you’ve passed a Security Check, you’ll be offered a place at HMS Raleigh
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day