You’ll gain the specialist skills needed to steer the ship, act as lookout and communicate with other ships.
- £18,500 - £56,000
- No qualifications
- Surface Fleet
- Rating level
I play a big part in keeping the ship going, and get involved in all sorts of operations, from replenishment at sea, to crewing our speedboat.
What you’ll do
As a member of the team who sails the ship, you’ll be indispensable to the smooth running of some of the most advanced warships on the planet. And from the minute you join you’ll be on your way to becoming a professional sailor. Seaman Specialists experience a true life at sea. From navigation to guarding your ship in port, your seamanship will help protect our nation’s interests – wherever you are in the world.
- Steer your ship, act as lookout, and communicate with other vessels.
- Moor, secure and guard your ship when in port.
- Operate smaller weapons like General Purpose Machine Guns.
- Drive fast rigid-hulled inflatable boats (RHIB) in all conditions.
Pay & benefits
- A salary that rises to £23,496 after initial training
- Earn in excess of £56,383 as your career progresses
- Civilian-recognised Martine Coastguard Agency (MCA) accreditation
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- GCSEs, A-Levels, NVQs or a degree
- MCA accreditation
Skills you'll develop
- Advanced seamanship skills, valued far beyond the Naval Service
Technical skills including signaling, sailing, mooring and operating machine guns
- You must be aged 16 to 39
- No qualifications are required for this role
- A National of the United Kingdom, a Commonwealth citizen or Dual National. Dual Nationality restrictions do apply
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test
Skills & Interests
- Willing to learn new skills with different types of equipment
- A love of teamwork
- A passion for life at sea
- >A sense of adventure
From picking your role to starting on your first day, these are the steps you'll take to join as a rating.
Once you’ve passed a Security Check, you’ll be offered a place at HMS Raleigh
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day