Ex-regular Forces Reserve
Use your existing experience and expertise to make a vital contribution to essential global operations.
- No qualifications
- Surface Fleet
- Royal Naval Reserve
- Rating level
I remain fully engaged and committed and actively encourage those who have left or are leaving the RN to consider the RNR.
What you’ll do
We know that as a former Royal Navy Officer or Rating, you have a unique wealth of skills and experience. And the Royal Naval Reserve still have a real need for that expertise. If you left the Royal Navy under two years ago and were fully-trained, you would be eligible for the Firefly Scheme, a fast track process that takes into consideration your rank and valuable experience.
- Use your Naval background to open up specialist jobs that will provide opportunities to serve at sea, as well as ashore.
- Use your existing discipline, teamwork, and leadership skills to get the most out of civilian and military life.
- Travel the world, experiencing a wide range of new environments. You’ll be making a vital contribution to the essential operations that help us protect our nation’s interests.
Pay & benefits
- Extra pay and allowances if you’re mobilised
- Annual tax-free bounty subject to meeting the minimum training commitment
- Paid leave in proportion to the number of training days attended
- Automatic membership of the non-contributory Armed Forces Pension Scheme
- Expenses and allowances when training
- Continued access to the Royal Navy’s superb sports and fitness facilities
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- Continuing your professional military education
- Professional and vocational qualifications depending on your chosen branch and role
Skills you'll develop
- Enhance your professional military skills
- Opportunities to pass on your skills and experience through leadership, mentoring and instruction
- You’ll need to be aged 16 to 56 for a Rating role and 20 to 56 for an Officer role
- Qualification requirements vary depending on the role
- You must be a British or Irish national, a Commonwealth citizen, or a Dual National. Dual nationality restrictions do apply
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test
Skills & Interests
- Motivated to continue service
- A desire to be part of a team
- A need for adventure
- Maintained physical and mental fitness
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day