SFA Update: Changes to Combined Accommodation Assessment System (CAAS)
- Service Personnel in SFA affected by this policy change will receive a letter on 1 July 2020 notifying them of a change to CAAS charges to be introduced from 1 October 2020.
- The policy change will bring CAAS charging in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales in line with England by introducing a location assessment based on access to local services.
- Calculation using this method has been used in England since 2016, but data on access to key amenities was not available at the time in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, therefore was only applied across SFA in England.
- Accommodation charges are determined by three factors: condition, scale and location. This change refers only to the Location factor of the charging.
- This change will mean that CAAS is measured in the same way for all Service Family Accommodation across the UK. This change has been developed collaboratively with the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and is fully endorsed by single Service Housing Colonels. This will deliver a fairer application of the UK Location Factor.
- Full details of the policy will be available in JSP 464 Volume 3 Parts 1 and 2. These will be published 1 October 2020 and a link will be provided to access specific accessibility data. Updates on the policy will also be located on GOV.UK, Defnet and the MOD intranet DIO CAAS pages.
- Changes will not be backdated and only apply to the charges from 1 October 2020 onward.
- For further information click here