Reading Force - Free Books for Children

Author
NICC
Information and Communications
  • Total Posts : 0
2020/05/05 17:00:20 (permalink)

Reading Force - Free Books for Children

Reading Force is available for free to all those with a Forces connection (whether serving, reservist, veteran, injured or wider family – including former families of Forces personnel, who are no longer living together due to relationship breakdown). 

Forces families are, of course, used to long periods of separation, and to counting off the ‘days to do’ but are finding the current uncertainty hard. To make matters more difficult, most of the support mechanisms they rely on to get them through long periods of single-parenting during deployments (e.g. unit coffee mornings, organised activities for families, meeting up with friends) are not available due to the lockdown. 

‘My husband has been on a seven-month deployment in Afghanistan since last October. Since the Covid-19 crisis, I have been solo parenting, and we still do not have a confirmation date for when he is coming home. These are anxious times. I checked the “Yes” option for sending us books but please do not worry if you are low on stock: I would rather they go to those families who really need them!’

For parents who are separated or divorced (and the rate is higher within Forces families than civilian families), this is particularly difficult – they may not live close to their children and lockdown does not permit them to see each other. A reading project that keeps them in each-others’ minds during this difficult time is really precious.

'My ten year-old daughter lives in Sheffield with my ex-partner and we really miss seeing one another, so sending her a book will really make her day and allow us to engage while distanced. I am really really impressed with Reading Force. Thank you so much for what you are doing.’

How it works - Register to take part at www.readingforce.org.uk and we will send you a special scrapbook, a free book, and information on how to get started. The book we send is tailored to the age of the child(ren) taking part.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 5.5