Domestic Abuse during Coronavirus
For some of our people, the home is not likely to be a safe place and there will be increased pressures on families in the next few months due to illness, self-isolation, social distances, financial pressures and spending more time together without being able to leave the home for work or leisure activities.
Whilst many of the support services are having to change the way they work, with a decrease in face to face and group work support, telephone support is available alongside a wealth of information online if it is safe for you to access this.
If you are concerned you may be at risk of abuse in the home, or have a friend, family member, neighbour or colleague you are concerned about, alongside information contained in the safety planning leaflet:
1) Consider setting up a system to enable a person at risk to send a pre-determined code word to confirm that they are OK (or not) by a certain time each day
2) Agree what should happen if this message isn’t received – e.g. should the police be alerted?
3) Try to establish regular phone or text contact (if safe to do so), in order to reduce isolation
4) Think through different potentially dangerous situations and how to escape from the situation.
5) In an emergency, call 999 Defence Support Organisations Naval Service Family and People Support (NS FPS) Open:
Mon - Thurs 0800 - 1630; Fri 0800 - 1600; Sat-Sun 0900 - 1600Tel: (Mil)
9380 28777 (Civ)
+44 (0)23 92728777 or 0800 145 6088Email:
firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.royalnavy.mod.uk/community-and-support Army Welfare Service (AWS) Intake and Assessment TeamOpen:
Mon-Thur 0830 – 1630; Fridays – 0830 - 1600Tel: (Mil)
+44 (0) 1904 882053Email:
Out of hours the AWS can be contacted through the Unit Welfare Officer and/or the Staff Duty Officer Royal Air Force Welfare Service
Details of RAF Welfare Services are provided locally via the Personnel Management Squadron RAF personnel and their families stationed in the UK and overseas are able to contact the SSAFA out of hours telephone service in the UK +44 (0) 207 463 9358 for advice and support SSAFA: 0800 7314880 www.ssafa.org.uk Civil Servants
Employee Wellbeing Service (EWS) for MOD Civilian StaffOpen:
Mon-Fri 0830 - 1630Tel: (Mil)
93345 7750 (Civ)
0800 345 7047
Employee Assistance ProgrammeTel:
0800 345 7047
The Charity for Civil ServantsTel:
0800 056 2424 www.gov.uk/mod/armed-forces-domestic-abuse-support-and-guidance Armed Forces Domestic Abuse Advocate (Aurora New Dawn): 07496 333473 National Domestic Abuse Helplines and websites
post edited by NICC - 2020/04/15 11:18:28