Colin
Online Community Team
  • Total Posts : 26
2017/09/12 09:00:32 (permalink)

Notice from CO of Portsmouth Naval Base Ref Fire Safety in SFA

On behalf of Captain Oliphant:

Dear Licence Holder

FIRE SAFETY IN SERVICE FAMILIES ACCOMMODATION

As the Captain of the Base for HMNB Portsmouth one of the most important roles that I have is that of Local Service Commander for accommodation in the Portsmouth region. In that role I work closely with the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and Carillion Amey (CA) to ensure that you have a safe home to bring your families up in.

Following on from the tragic events at Grenfell Tower in June this year, urgent fire audits have been undertaken by the Defence Fire Service in all properties that have communal areas. The common theme that is of pressing concern is that communal areas are being used as either an additional storage facility or a place to leave unwanted items. This presents a clear and identifiable risk and must be rectified as a matter of urgency.

We will be working with CA to have these areas cleared however it is essential that you all take personal responsibility and I would therefore ask that you to take the following actions:

•  All communal areas are to be self-cleared of possessions/obstructions/waste (this is to include bicycles/pushchairs/toys etc) by residents.  
  • All communal areas are to remain clear of any obstruction/hazards.  Residents will (where identified) will be held accountable for clearance and/or any associated costs for clearance and/or cleaning thereof.
  • Residents are to contact CA help line to report issues of fly tipping and/or concern with health and safety.

I also need to advise you that if your possessions are cleared by CA as directed you will have no recourse to claim for their loss.

I hope that you will all proactively assist in helping me, DIO and CA to safe and tidy communal areas.

W Oliphant
Capt RN

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: