If you’re interested in receiving a fully-funded engineering degree then our Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) could be for you. You'll specialise in nuclear engineering (UGAS (MESM)) or weapon engineering (UGAS (WESM)), and push your skills to the limit in the Submarine Service, experiencing things you’d never encounter as a civilian.
If you’re educated to A level, BTEC Level 3 or equivalent, you could be eligible to start a tailored 8½-year career in the Royal Navy. You’ll combine your time on board active submarines, with studying for a degree that’s paid for by us – all while earning more than £30,000 from day one.
If you choose UGAS (MESM), you’ll spend your time maintaining the boat’s nuclear reactor, and ensuring that all of the vital systems are fully functional, from propulsion, to air purification. With UGAS (WESM), your focus will be on all things weapons. That isn’t just the ballistic missiles that are our nation’s nuclear deterrent, but a range of torpedoes and the all-important detection equipment that’s the eyes and ears of the submarine.
- You need to be aged 18-34 on entry
- Five GCSEs at grade C or better, including maths, English language and at least one science
- 160 UCAS points gained from Level 3 STEM qualifications (BTEC, A/A2/AS or equivalents) in an engineering discipline, or in maths and at least one in physical science, engineering or computing subject.
Pay and benefits
FIND YOUR ENGINEERING ROLE
- Starting salary of over £31,000 rising to over £45,000 as your career progresses to Petty Officer
- A fully funded BEng (Hons) degree in Engineering (UGAS (WESM), or Marine Engineering (UGAS (MESM))
- Get a £5,000 bonus when you earn your Dolphins – the mark of a qualified Submariner
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
- Adventurous training opportunities and access to superb sports facilities
- One of the best pensions available