We would like to place Cookies on your computer to give you the best possible experience when you visit our website. If you are happy with the current Cookie settings and want to continue to use this website as normal, click 'OK'. You also have the option to change these settings, plus learn more about Cookies and how we use them. More information on Cookies.

OK
Change settings

Sign into my account

Forgot your username Forgot your password

Protecting our Nation's Interests

Skip to main content
  • Current Location

    Faslane

    12:26 GMT - 17 April 2014

    Exercise Joint Warrior

    Follow the story
  • Current Location

    The Gulf

    11:20 GMT - 17 April 2014

    East of Suez

    Follow the story
  • Current Location

    British Isles

    10:38 GMT - 17 April 2014

    Home Waters

    Follow the story
  • Current Location

    Mediterranean Sea

    14:04 GMT - 15 April 2014

    Mediterranean

    Follow the story
  • Current Location

    Indian Ocean

    11:15 GMT - 14 April 2014

    Search for MH370

    Follow the story
VIEW FLEET BY:

Latest News

Close
  • Top Breaking Stories

    • Also in the news

      Close

      VIEW BY VESSEL

        Name of vessel
        Show vessel on map > Close
        HMS Echo

        HMS Echo

        Echo was launched at Appledore in Devon in 2002, and was designed to carry out a wide range of survey work, including support to submarine and amphibious operations, through the collection of oceanographic and bathymetric (analysis of the ocean, its salinity and sound profile) data.

        HMS Echo

        Her Survey Motor Boat, Sapphire, is capable of operating independently, supporting a small group of surveyors who can live and work ashore to carry out surveys.

        Echo, which is based in Devonport, was the first Royal Navy ship to use azimuth thrusters, where the propellers are part of a swivelling pod, allowing for precise manouevring.

        Capable of collecting an array of military hydrographic and oceanographic data, due to her multi-role capability Echo is also equipped to support mine warfare and amphibious operations.

        To ensure she can operate in any environment she possesses a impressive array of weapons for force protection. Echo also carries a small detachment of Royal Marines.

        Echo left Devonport in the first week of 2011 on a two-year deployment to the Red Sea, the Gulf, the Indian Ocean, the Middle and Far East and returned to home waters at Devonport in August 2012. After spending two months in Falmouth for a revamp, the specialist survey ship spent the final weeks of that year putting would-be navigators through their paces in the waters off the south-west of England.

        2013 saw Echo begin another long deployment - 18 months away surveying the seas and improving seafarers' charts for the UK Hydrographic Office.

         

        COMMANDING OFFICER

        Phillip R Newell

        RANK:
        Commander
        JOINED:
        1992
        SPECIALISATION:
        Warfare
        PREVIOUS UNITS:
        HMS Scott, HMS Invincible
        Military experience

        Born in Durham and educated at Newcastle and Leicester Royal Grammar Schools, Phillip Newell joined the Royal Navy as a direct graduate entry Warfare Officer in 1992.

        Following basic training he undertook specialist hydrographic training at HMS Drake in 1994, followed by an appointment to HMS Hecla, conducting geophysical surveys in the North Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and the Gulf. Between 1997 and 1999 he was appointed to HMS Scott as alternate Operations Officer. This period encompassed commissioning, Capability Acceptance Trials off Florida and completion of the first operational surveys by HMS Scott in the North Atlantic.

        Qualifying on Advanced Survey Course at the RN Hydrographic School, he completed a Post graduate Diploma in Hydrographic Surveying from Plymouth University. On completion, he was given the opportunity to spend 2 years on exchange with the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) appointed to HMAS Leeuwin as Senior Assistant Surveyor. This period included commissioning, acceptance trials off Cairns and completion of the first operational surveys off the Great Barrier Reef. He was awarded a RAN Fleet Commander’s commendation for valuable service.

        On return to the UK, he was appointed to Devonport as Staff Officer Operations to Captain H, responsible for the operational programming and co-ordination of the RN survey squadron. During this period, he developed a comprehensive trials package for the acceptance of HMS Echo and Enterprise into service.

        After short appointment working in Defence Intelligence in Feltham, between 2004 and 2006 he was selected as Executive Officer of HMS Echo. In temporary command he conducting surveys in the Mediterranean, UK and around the Iraqi oil platforms in the Northern Gulf. He led the successful introduction of the Joint Personnel Administration project in Devonport, as part of a wider project of implementation across the Royal Navy.

        Working in London for the Defence Intelligence, he was responsible for strategic direction for RN hydrographic surveys and management of the UKHO Defence Section between 2007 and 2009. This included a short period in Defence Procurement responsible for the introduction of Environmental Risk Management Tool (Sonar 2117).

        He was selected for a second appointment as Executive Officer onboard HMS Scott taking periods of temporary command between 2010 and 2012. He successfully deployed to Antarctica in support of FCO tasking and conducted deep water surveys in the North Atlantic. During this period, he was selected for the Advanced Command and Staff Course which he completed in 2013. He was selected for promotion to Commander in 2013, completed an MSc in Hydrography at Plymouth University and returned to HMS ECHO for his third Sea Command.


        LATEST NEWS

         

        TOP STORIES

        Royal Navy ship ‘works 24/7’ to pinpoint missing flight transponder
        14 April 2014

        Sailors on board Royal Navy ship HMS Echo are continuing...

        Echo's CO briefs the ship's company
        Echo and Tireless search vast area in hunt for missing Malaysian airliner
        08 April 2014

        Survey ship HMS Echo and HMS Tireless are searching vast...

        HMS Echo pays maiden visit to Middle East’s newest port
        HMS Echo pays maiden visit to Middle East’s newest port
        18 March 2014

        Survey ship HMS Echo became the first Royal Navy ship...

        HMS Kent - chefs
        Sweet hearts from HMS Echo and Kent
        14 February 2014

        Another love-ly find from the Company of HMS Echo, who...

        OPERATIONS

        Maritime security - On Patrol

        CURRENT STATUS: active
        image
        MISSION SUMMARY

        British ships and units are committed to operations around the world. Operations focus on maritime security, reassurance and wider regional engagement to build regional maritime capability.

        Cougar 12

        CURRENT STATUS: COMPLETED
        image
        MISSION SUMMARY

        Cougar is an amphibious task force exercising in the Mediterranean. The Response Force Task Group (RFTG) is the Royal Navy’s High Readiness Task Group. It has a number of units assigned to it including a helicopter carrier, an assault ship, two frigates, as well as a Royal Fleet Auxiliary support ship and Commando units, and several Fleet Air Arm squadrons.

        Read More

        ABOUT THE UNIT

        KEY STATISTICS


        Pennant

        H87

        Displacement

        3470tonnes

        Complement

        60at sea

        Length

        90Metres

        Complement

        81full

        Beam

        16.8metres

        Draught

        5.5metres

        Top Speed

        15knots

        Range (Nautical)

        9000Miles

        Launch Date

        04/03/02

        Commissioned date

        07/03/03

        TAKE A LOOK

        UNITS IN TIME


        HMS Echo HISTORY

        TRACK THE HISTORY OF SHIPS NAMED HMS Echo
        • The First Echo

          The first HMS Echo was originally a French privateer named Le Marechal De Richelieu, built in 1757. She was purchased by the French Crown later that year and taken into the Marine Royale, rated as a 24-gun frigate and renamed L'Echo. On 11 June 1758 she was captured by HM Ships Juno and Scarborough during the operations that led to the capture of Louisbourg, France's fortified harbour on Cape Breton Island.

        • The First Echo

          Taken into the Royal Navy as HMS Echo, a 6th Rate ship armed with 24 nine pounder guns, measuring 540 tons with a crew of 160 men, she took part in operations leading to the capture of Quebec in 1759, and in 1762 was present at the capture of Martinique in February, and of Havana in August. When the Treaty of Paris brought the Seven Years' War to an end in February 1763, Echo returned to British waters to be laid up in Ordinary. She was sold in 1770.

        • The Second Echo

          The second HMS Echo was another French prize, the 18-gun corvette L'Hussard, built at Lorient in 1779 and captured by the 64-gun ship HMS Nonsuch off Ushant in July 1780. Only 84ft in length and 271 tons, brig-rigged and armed with 18 six-pounders, she entered Royal Navy service in October 1780, but was wrecked in Plymouth Sound in February 1781 when she was driven ashore in a gale.

        • The Third Echo

          A new HMS Echo was launched at Liverpool in October 1782, name ship of a class of 16-gun ship-rigged sloops; she was the first vessel specifically designed to carry the new carronades. She was 101ft in length on deck, 337 tons, with a main armament of 16 six-pounder long guns, and with six 12-pdr carronades on the quarterdeck, two similar carronades on the forecastle as close range weapons. She carried a crew of 125 officers and men.

        • The Third Echo

          The first six years of her service were passed mainly on the Newfoundland Station, before she paid off at Plymouth in 1788. After a brief spell as a 'slop ship' (clothing store), she recommissioned and returned to her old cruising ground. With the outbreak of war with France in 1793 she was back in the English Channel and North Sea, alternately cruising against enemy shipping and convoying British trade.

        • The Third Echo

          In 1795 she was part of a small squadron under the command of Vice Admiral Sir George Keith Elphinstone which seized the Cape of Good Hope from the Dutch. The Echo was detached to Capt Allan Hyde Gardner's squadron off Colombo, and was there when the Dutch garrison surrendered in February 1796. She was also present at Saldanha Bay in August 1796 when the small Dutch flotilla sent to retake their colony was quietly rounded up by the reinforced British fleet, twice the Dutch force in ships, guns and men. After hard service in three oceans, Echo was found to be 'slight, and not perfectly adequate to cruising in these tempestuous latitudes' - her design had been strongly influenced by mid-18th century French examples - and she was put out of commission at the Cape in early 1797; she was broken up soon after.

        • The Fourth Echo

          A replacement Echo had been ordered in December 1796, and was launched at Dover in September 1797. The new HMS Echo was a flush-decked ship sloop, 96ft on deck, measuring 356 tons and armed with 16 32-pdr carronades and a couple of long 6-pdrs as chase guns. She had a crew of 121 officers and men. After a year in the English Channel and North Sea, the Echo was ordered to the Caribbean in January 1799 and remained on the Leeward Islands station, as cruiser and convoy escort.

        • The Fourth Echo

          In 1804 she captured a French troop transport with 300 soldiers on board, and in October that year took the French privateer Hasard. She returned to home waters in 1806 and was added to the flotillas patrolling the Thames Estuary and eastern Channel until November that year when she was laid up at Woolwich. She was sold in 1809.

        • The Fifth Echo

          The next HMS Echo, the fifth of the name, was a Cruiser-class brig-rigged sloop, one of more than 100 built to the same design; 100ft long on deck, 382 tons, armed with 16 broadside 32-pdr carronades and a pair of 6-pdr chase guns. The Echo was built at Frindsbury, Kent, and launched in July 1809. Her station for the first five years was the Downs, patrolling the eastern English Channel against the French privateers who made our merchant shipping their prey.

        • The Fifth Echo

          She had her successes, capturing the Capricieux in March 1810 and the 16-gun La Confiance in February 1811. With Napoleon's abdication in 1814 Echo was sent to the West Indies, where American cruisers were still threatening trade. She returned to Britain in 1815 to pay off, and was broken up in 1817.

        • The Sixth Echo

          The sixth HMS Echo was one of the first handful of steam paddle ships built for the Admiralty, and was launched at Woolwich Dockyard in May 1827. She was built to an altered version of the Cherokee-class design - the 'coffin' brigs, so-called for their less-than-lovely lines - and measured 109ft in length on deck, 293 tons burthen. Her two cylinder, side-lever engines were built by Watt and developed 100 NHp (nominal horse power) giving her a theoretical 7.6 knots under power.

        • The Sixth Echo

          As well as being a pioneer of naval steamships, she was the originator of the tradition of HMS Echo as a survey ship name; based at Woolwich, her first commission included surveys of the Thames and its estuary. As an experimental vessel, the first two years saw her variously employed as despatch vessel, survey ship and occasional tug in the Thames and at the home naval bases. In 1830 she was in the Mediterranean and Adriatic as a despatch vessel, then from 1831 to 1836 off the coast of Portugal and Spain. In late 1836, with improved reliability, HMS Echo went to the West Indies where she served as mail packet and despatch vessel until late 1839. From 1840 she served as a tug at Portsmouth, until she was sold to the shipbreakers Castle & Co. in 1885.

        • The Seventh Echo

          The next Echo was a water tank steamer, purchased on the stocks at Sunderland in 1887, and in dockyard service at Gibraltar until 1916. Two ships by the name Echo were in naval service during World War 1, the South African-owned whaler Barrowby renamed and taken up for 'miscellaneous service' in 1915 and sold at Cape Town in 1919, and the 1897-built Hull trawler Echo (fishery number H. 367) taken up for service as a Boom Defence Vessel in September 1915 and released in 1921.

        • The Tenth Echo

          The tenth HMS Echo was an E-class destroyer, built at Dumbarton by Wm. Denny & Bros., and launched in February 1934. Initially armed with four 4.7-in guns and eight 21-in torpedo tubes, she was 326ft long overall and displaced 1,370 tons at standard load. Her Parsons turbines driving twin shafts gave her a sustained speed of over 37 knots on trials. She was commissioned in October 1934.

        • The Tenth Echo

          Her first commission with the Home Fleet's 5th Destroyer Flotilla took her to the West Indies in early 1935, but the 5 DF joined the Mediterranean Fleet during the Abyssinia crisis of 1935-36. Later returned to the Home Fleet, she formed part of the non-intervention patrol off the Biscay coast during the Spanish Civil War. She was under repair at Sheerness in September 1939 when war broke out, but soon joined the 12th DF in the Western Approaches, then transferred to 3rd DF Home Fleet escort duties based on Scapa in June 1940. In August 1940 she took part in Operation Menace, the attack on Dakar, and in October went into dock in the Clyde for extensive machinery repairs. In just over a year of war she had rescued survivors from the aircraft carrier HMS Courageous, the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS Scotstoun, and the merchant ships Arandora Star, Empress of Britain and Leo. In April 1941 she was part of the escorting force for the Commando raid on the Lofoten Islands and in May she joined the hunt for the Bismarck, and escorted the damaged HMS Prince of Wales back to Iceland after the action in which the Hood was lost.

        • Invasions

          After a three-month refit HMS Echo rejoined 3rd DF as escort on the Iceland-Murmansk route, then, after a period on the Iceland-Scapa-Rosyth convoy routes, went to Gibraltar with a convoy, where she joined the carrier USS Wasp on a flying-off operation to Malta in April 1942. After a similar operation with HMS Eagle she returned to U.K.-Iceland convoys in June. From November 1942 to February 1943 she was escorting North Russia convoys (including the hard-fought PQ18 and QP15 operations).

        • Invasions

          After refit she left with the 8th DF for the Mediterranean. She took part in the invasion of Sicily 10th July 1943 and on the 13th, in company with HMS Ilex, sank the Italian submarine Nereide in the Straits of Messina. In September she participated in the invasion of the Italian mainland at Salerno; from that time on she took part in operations in the Aegean, supporting ground forces on Leros and other islands, and rescued survivors from the destroyer Dulverton, sunk by glider bomb in November. After refit at Malta she was transferred to the Greek navy in April 1944; renamed Navarinon, she remained in Greek service until 1956, including attendance as a representative of the Royal Hellenic Navy at the Spithead Coronation Review in 1953. She was broken up on the Tyne in 1956.

        • The Last Echo

          The next HMS Echo was a 106ft 160 ton Inshore Survey Vessel, built at Cowes by J S White and completed in 1958. Powered by two Paxman diesels she had a maximum speed of 14 knots, and a crew of two officers and 16 ratings. She was one of the small ships of the Inshore Survey Squadron, with HMS Enterprise and HMS Egeria, and her career was spent in the vital and technically challenging task of hydrographic survey of the seas, sandbanks and coastlines of the East Coast and Eastern English Channel.

        • The Last Echo

          She was a well-known ship around the harbours of the East Coast, and 'showed the flag' on many official visits to Belgian, Dutch and German ports on the North Sea coast, and as far inland as Cologne. In May 1963 she was selected to form part of the naval escort for a State Visit of the King and Queen of the Belgians to London; in 1964 she was in the Firth of Forth to join the celebrations when Her Majesty the Queen opened the Forth Road Bridge, and in 1978 visited Whitby with the rest of the Inshore Survey Squadron for the Captain Cook commemorative celebrations. She was put up for disposal by sale in 1985.

        Recruiting Now

        The featured jobs are available now

        More Info

        I'm Interested in:
        • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering)
          More info
        • Explore Opportunities Royal Marines Officer
          More info
        • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Marine Submariner)
          More info
        • Explore Opportunities Royal Marines Commando
          More info
        • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Weapon Engineering)
          More info
        • Explore Opportunities Naval Nurse (Qualified)
          More info
        • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Weapons Submariner)
          More info