We would like to place Cookies on your computer to give you the best possible experience when you visit our website. If you are happy with the current Cookie settings and want to continue to use this website as normal, click 'OK'. You also have the option to change these settings, plus learn more about Cookies and how we use them. More information on Cookies.

Change settings

Sign into my account

Forgot your username Forgot your password

Protecting our Nation's Interests

Skip to main content

Medical and Dental

Whether you are assigned abroad or on leave you may have concerns or questions regarding medical and dental care whilst outside of the United Kingdom.


Naval Families Federation

the independent voice of royal naval and royal marines families

Royal Navy HIVE

Your gateway for information

Royal Marines HIVE

Your gateway for information

On duty overseas?

As far as possible, medical and dental treatments whilst abroad on duty or assignment are provided at the same standard as the United Kingdom National Health Service. On large stations abroad, this is generally provided by Naval doctors and dentists or by the medical staff of one of the other Services. If Service facilities are not available, treatment is arranged privately with local civilian doctors, hospitals or dentists and the Royal Navy refunds the fees.

Holidaying abroad?

The MOD is not responsible for any medical or dental expenses incurred by Service personnel or their dependants during leave periods taken outside the UK or the country of posting. You are strongly advised to take out medical insurance before going abroad on leave or if stationed overseas before taking leave outside that country.

It is also advisable to obtain a FREE European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you are in a country that is part of the European Economic Area

The EHIC will allow you access to the same state-provided healthcare as a resident of the country you are visiting. However, many countries expect the patient to pay towards their treatment, and even with an EHIC, you might be expected to do the same. You may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.

The EHIC is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property.




Submariners get ready for Plymouth half marathon
23 April 2014

Two submariners based at HMS Raleigh will be swapping the...

Newcastle schoolchildren have ‘special place in their hearts’ for HMS Dauntless
23 April 2014

Sailors from HMS Dauntless took on youngsters from their affiliated...

Taste of sweet success
23 April 2014

Kind-hearted workers with HM Naval Base Clyde’s Flag Officer Sea...

Tracker remains Vigilant as she shepherds nuclear submarine safely home
23 April 2014

HMS Vigilant has successfully completed the latest patrol carrying Britain’s...


Image Gallery

Recruiting Now

The featured jobs are available now

More Info

I'm Interested in:
  • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering)
    More info
  • Explore Opportunities Royal Marines Officer
    More info
  • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Marine Submariner)
    More info
  • Explore Opportunities Royal Marines Commando
    More info
  • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Weapon Engineering)
    More info
  • Explore Opportunities Naval Nurse (Qualified)
    More info
  • Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Weapons Submariner)
    More info