The Royal Navy and Royal Marines work with international partners to provide global maritime security on the high seas wherever our interests need protecting.
Security at Sea
We in the UK are reliant on global trade for our prosperity. This means we have a vested interest in supporting international efforts to maintain good order at sea by delivering maritime security and preserving the free, safe and lawful use of the high seas.
• 80 per cent of International trade goes by sea, generating £230bn per year.
• 95 per cent of global trade passes through just nine vulnerable maritime chokepoints.
• There is international concern that the seas are being increasingly used for irregular activities undertaken by terrorists, pirates, criminals or insurgents. These include illicit trade, migration, trafficking (in people, drugs and contraband) and increasing levels of piracy.
• The Royal Navy helps maintain the integrity of the UK homeland and British Overseas Territories through military support to the government for counter terrorism, counter narcotics, fishery protection and the protection of offshore energy installations.
• In partnership with allies and coalition partners the Royal Navy maintains a presence in the Gulf to safeguard maritime trade.
• The Royal Navy works within NATO conducting Maritime Security patrols across the Mediterranean Sea (Op Active Endeavour).
• Operating with EU and NATO partners to defend shipping from piracy off the Horn of Africa (OP Atalanta (EU), OP Ocean Shield (NATO).
In an example of routine work for the Royal Navy’s...
HMS Vigilant has successfully completed the latest patrol carrying Britain’s...
HMS Blyth, which left her base port at Faslane for...
Senior officials from the Philippines have thanked the team in...
The featured jobs are available now
Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering)More info
Explore Opportunities Royal Marines OfficerMore info
Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Marine Submariner)More info
Explore Opportunities Royal Marines CommandoMore info
Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Weapon Engineering)More info
Explore Opportunities Naval Nurse (Qualified)More info
Explore Opportunities Engineering Technician (Weapons Submariner)More info